Category Archives: parenting
Meet Romio Parenting Expert: Cherie Corso
I am so proud of all the Olympians especially proud of our athletes that we sponsor at the New York Athletic Club. The USA Gold Medalist Women Rowing team are incredible, they train hard, watch nutrition and need to look great in their uniform representing the USA. They also must be conscience of products that they use, especially their clothes and workout wear. A lot of people might not realize it but many leading brands of detergent have chemicals in them that can irritates the skin. As a "spandex mom" who likes to workout and admire our Olympians I highly recommend using HEX free and clear laundry I give it a gold metal, (yes that's me holding the gold metal) because it is eco-friendly, cleans and does not irritate your skin. USE this Promo code:
We all like excellence and high performance, let me tell you about HEX and why its the only detergent I will use on my athletic wear Did you know that odor get trapped in the polyester and builds up because traditional detergents do not get the sweat, dirt and body oil. Sometimes instead of clean clothes, you get clothes that smell good, are just coated with a fragrance. Then when you workout and sweat the odor comes back again. YUCK, you will not have that problem with HEX detergents they clean. When workout wear is cleaned correctly it lasts longer. I may not be a gold medalist but I do strive for excellence and good health for myself and family. It does all start in the home, so treat yourself and your workout wear with the best products on the market. Personally knowing the athletes, I know everything does come into play when working out and competing and trusting your team. I have to trust the products I use just and know that they will help me not hurt me. USE this Promo code:
Snatched was a silly fun movie, dumped by her boyfriend on the eve of their vacation, impetuous dreamer Emily Middleton (Amy Schumer) persuades her cautious mother, Linda (Goldie Hawn), to accompany her on an exotic getaway to South America. Opposites, Emily and Linda must soon work through their differences to escape from a wildly outrageous and dangerous jungle adventure funny, entertaining. But the best part was meeting Amy and Goldie at TheMom's blogger movie premier event on Park Ave in New York City. The interview was serious at times but Amy true to herself was hysterical The moms interviewed and hosted Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn for a Mamaraazzi event in NYC for their new movie Snatched. They sat down with The MOMS to dish on the film and during the interview Amy admitted “her uterus remains empty for now, but she would like to have kids someday.” I also gave Amy Schumer a crystal for good energy and she liked it! I gave the one to Donald Trump too, hey we all need good energy, maybe on a higher level it will help. We all had a absolute blast and even all dance together in honor of #DanceforBreastCancerChallenge.
September is National Yoga month it's a perfect time to get "bendy" yoga well known to increased strength stamina and flexibility. I have been practicing yoga for years and it does enhance your ability to stay focused on task improve your attitude and decreases anxiety. I also think it helps you to feel Zen, focus, and even loose weight. When you feel good you look good! I find after I go to yoga class, my creativity and communication skills are much better. Yoga is fantastic it will only help you improve your overall health and well-being and mental function. I love National Yoga Month and Wedderspoon, its a perfect mixture.http://www.yogahealthfoundation.org/yoga_month
Favorite drink during yoga is to mix warm water and Manuka honey using the little to go packs, easy to carry and store http://wedderspoon.com/our-products/honey/ . The honey helps increase circulation and gives me a little more energy.
These are my top 3 reasons why I love yoga and smile more!
1. Turn off monkey mind when the inner chatter is nonstop our bodies are functioning under a constant low-level stress a simple smile and a good stretch can instantly relax the body and release tension on cellular levels.
2. Just sitting and being positive. All the feel-good chemicals are released when you smile and stretch dopamine's and endorphins plus it boosts your immune system strong balances your hormones and stabilizes your blood pressure and heart rate.
3. Feel connected with people there is a magic that happens in the yoga studio when everybody is relaxed and completed a good class there's a connection that stays with you the whole day.
4. Yoga is a journey of life you will be amazed on how you progress if you keep at it. It Is a feeling of accomplishment and a great time to relax.
5. Yoga is honoring your body and making yourself feel good, makes me feel centered when all the energy is flowing and the blood is pumping.
Feeling good and having physical and mental flexibility will help you in every area of your life
I call this on the go YOGA! Sometimes we are not able to get to the yoga studio, here are 3 poses I'm sure you know already know just be mindful when doing feel Zen and practice yoga on the go! Slow down and breathe, sip your honey and water.
1. "Half dog"Makha" Svanasana
Hold on to chair lean forward in bend over. This perfect for relieving back pain if you've been sitting for a while on the bus or train just lean over and let your body hang.
2. "Chair pose" Utkstasana this strengthens your shins leg gluteus, of course, bring your feet to gather or hip width apart reach her tailbone towards the floor back straight and she said into an imaginary chair reach your fingertips towards the ceiling.
3. "Forward bend" Uttanasana
Place both feet firmly on the floor and place your fingertips are palms next to the outer edge of each foot pull your torso feel forward and just do a nice stretch.
4. Tree pose is easy to do and helps get you back in balance.
Tips to stay healthy and have fun this summer!
Also without breaking the bank!
Encourage kids and caretakers join in to play sports such as soccer, basketball, skateboarding or surfing, boogie board Remember all summer long wear comfortable shoes likes crocs www.crocs.com so you can keep moving from the boat to the playground, beach and backyard.
The more you move the more you can build strength, coordination and mental stamina doing unplanned fun activities. Walk, local parks, to the store, church friends house, wherever your heart desires. Its calming to the mind and great for your body. Also you will find that you sleep better with the fresh air.
Set up an obstacle course packed with different challenges. This is so much fun, a egg on a spoon race, wheel barrel, water balloon challenge.
Book club and Art Club It’s a fantastic way for them to socialize and read a book. Make it fun let your kids pick the book. Even if they just read a few chapters or draw pictures to join in the conversation its good constructive fun.
Movie night is great, its fun to watch Dad’s favorite and Moms favorite comedies too. Very nostalgic and always a good conversation starter.
Meditate, in this busy world I know it’s hard to stop but just sit unplugged, for 5 minutes in with your eyes closed unplugged.
You will see how you slowly increase to 10, 15 minutes. You will feel more refreshed and productive. A healthy mind and body makes you more productive and a better problem solver.
Parents and cell phones! I hate to pass judgment, but here are some tips and reminders why we need to be mindful. Everyone is clearly overusing cell phones its not only kids that are over using parents are too. Remember kids model adult behavior, this is how they grow to be functioning adults. It makes me crazy when I see a child and adult dining and the parent is ignoring the child talking to a friends or texting. Children need interaction with parents they need to feel acknowledged and secure, which helps them in their social skills and future self-esteem it begins when a baby smiles, the parent smiles back and laughs, so does mom and dad this is called “mirroring.”
Parents over use of cell phones around kids, can cause emotional and physical dangers, When a parent is ignoring there child and always on the phone I call it the“emotional freeze out”, the poor kids have to compete with a phone, this causes a lot of anxiety for kids and they are start seeking attention any way they can get it. Kids also misbehave when they know there parents are distracted.
I don’t want to shame parents but here are guidelines that we can all use, even when we are working and taking kids on a outing at the zoo.
1. Do not use the phone at meal time, engage with your family Have a phone basket during dinner every ones phone goes in the basket until meal time is over
2. When at events WATCH your children, be engaged in the event, put your phone on vibrate and tell your other family member friends what you are doing so they wont be calling or texting you at that time
3. If you are mobile working, hold your Childs hand or have help watching them if you are returning messages
4. If you have a call to answer keep it brief, and don’t get into long conversations
5. Speak softly, respect surroundings
6. Remember you don’t have to be in constant contact
7.Send out a auto response that “I'm unavailable , if its a emergency call this number
8.Dont be looking at your phone crossing street, driving, and at the movies with the bright light
9. Show children by example, if I hear one more stupid, waste of time conversation while standing on line, as the kids run around I'm going to say "excuse me, but…"
10. I also think that parents need to help each other out, if you have a important call to make during a outing I know most moms would have no problem keeping a eye on your child for a few minutes.
11. If you need to check your phone, acknowledge the people you are with and say excuse me, I have to check my phone.
Sheraton New York Time Square #kids #parties, oh yes! I highly recommend it was a blast, for Mom and Dad too!
Parents, do you have fun at your kids party? I think last year when the Hawaiian luau had to be moved indoors because of the storm, and I had to cancel the flame throwers and hire my trainer from the gym to entertain, as well as the zumba teacher to be the Hula dancer, I said to myself the next year I'm having a fun, stress free party. I love my daughters birthday, she was born on Mothers's Day so its always a special to me. I've done sleepovers, backyard Hawaiian parties, spa parties, Lady bug party, Alice in Wonderland, Broadway, Candy Land. Even when I have it at a restaurant, its still lugging decorations, gift bags, and the after party party! This year I wanted to do something that was enjoyable for my husband and myself. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the other parties but this year I left it to to the incredible, professionals at Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=421 Special thanks Melissa Braverman, who treated us like family! http://www.sheratonnewyork.com
The best part was was the kids had fun and so did my husband and I.