Going green is an increasingly popular trend these days. Protecting our environment and staying healthy are important parts of our lives. Although everyone is reading/hearing about this craze, it seems that many are having trouble figuring out where to begin. Yes, recycling is a great way to start, but there are a number of easy ways you can make a difference in your own home
1. Grow and herb garden (good reminder of where our food comes from as well as one to stay away from processed food… dual function of serving environment and your self)
2. Switch all your light bulbs to CFLs
3. Stop using disposable shopping bags and invest in reusable ones, they can be found at any local food store
4. If you must buy water,buy an inexpensive reusable water bottle and stop buying the plastic ones. here in Westchester we have great water from the faucet
5. Always turn off the lights when you leave a room; try and wait as long as possible to even turn them on, natural sunlight is more enjoyable anyway
6. Turn off your computer completely at night
7. Pay as many bills as possible online
8. Wash your laundry in cold water instead of hot and then hang it to air dry
9. unplug unused chargers and appliances
10. Use cloth napkins and towels instead of paper ones
11. Switch to “shade grown coffee” with a “fair trade” label on it
12. Conserve water as much as possible! Try and shorten your showers, never leave the sink running when its not being used (aka when brushing your teeth), and fix all your leaky faucets!
Simple right? Its so easy it makes you wonder why everyone is not’t doing it. Put in the extra effort to make these small changes. Spread the word to your friends and family as well. Every little thing counts!