I wanted to share the benefits of frequent family dinners, even if you know its always a good reminder. I see it as a positive way to reconnect and regroup.
- Everyone eats healthier meals. Even at restaurants people dinning together eat better
- Kids are less likely to become overweight or obese.
- Kids more likely to stay away from cigarettes.
- They're less likely to drink alcohol.
- They won't likely try drugs
- School grades will be better.
- You and your kids will talk more.
- You'll be more likely to hear about a serious problem.
- Kids will feel like you're proud of them.
- There will be less stress and tension at home.
Even if you are not enjoying family dinners, here are some tips on getting started:
• Build up slowly if you are not already regularly eating together, once a week for a while and then every other day, and then every day. Be flexible, some days it may not be possible for everyone to be there.
• Keep the meals healthy but simple, so that you don’t run out of time with too much cooking.
• Even if its "takeout" still eat this at the table as a family. Show them that it doesn't’t matter what the food is, you still all want to eat together.
• Invite your children’s friends over for a family meal. Show the children that their friends are also invited to the table and that having friends over is not always about getting a take-away to eat in front of the television.
• Make family meal times enjoyable. Happy talk! Rose and thorn of day!