Tag Archives: family time
Tips to stay healthy and have fun this summer!
Also without breaking the bank!
Encourage kids and caretakers join in to play sports such as soccer, basketball, skateboarding or surfing, boogie board Remember all summer long wear comfortable shoes likes crocs www.crocs.com so you can keep moving from the boat to the playground, beach and backyard.
The more you move the more you can build strength, coordination and mental stamina doing unplanned fun activities. Walk, local parks, to the store, church friends house, wherever your heart desires. Its calming to the mind and great for your body. Also you will find that you sleep better with the fresh air.
Set up an obstacle course packed with different challenges. This is so much fun, a egg on a spoon race, wheel barrel, water balloon challenge.
Book club and Art Club It’s a fantastic way for them to socialize and read a book. Make it fun let your kids pick the book. Even if they just read a few chapters or draw pictures to join in the conversation its good constructive fun.
Movie night is great, its fun to watch Dad’s favorite and Moms favorite comedies too. Very nostalgic and always a good conversation starter.
Meditate, in this busy world I know it’s hard to stop but just sit unplugged, for 5 minutes in with your eyes closed unplugged.
You will see how you slowly increase to 10, 15 minutes. You will feel more refreshed and productive. A healthy mind and body makes you more productive and a better problem solver.
I wanted to share the benefits of frequent family dinners, even if you know its always a good reminder. I see it as a positive way to reconnect and regroup.
- Everyone eats healthier meals. Even at restaurants people dinning together eat better
- Kids are less likely to become overweight or obese.
- Kids more likely to stay away from cigarettes.
- They're less likely to drink alcohol.
- They won't likely try drugs
- School grades will be better.
- You and your kids will talk more.
- You'll be more likely to hear about a serious problem.
- Kids will feel like you're proud of them.
- There will be less stress and tension at home.
Even if you are not enjoying family dinners, here are some tips on getting started:
• Build up slowly if you are not already regularly eating together, once a week for a while and then every other day, and then every day. Be flexible, some days it may not be possible for everyone to be there.
• Keep the meals healthy but simple, so that you don’t run out of time with too much cooking.
• Even if its "takeout" still eat this at the table as a family. Show them that it doesn't’t matter what the food is, you still all want to eat together.
• Invite your children’s friends over for a family meal. Show the children that their friends are also invited to the table and that having friends over is not always about getting a take-away to eat in front of the television.
• Make family meal times enjoyable. Happy talk! Rose and thorn of day!